There’s nothing more disappointing when despite all the hard work, those vexatious pounds decide to hang on, making all your weight loss efforts go down the drain. Inability to lose weight when you are making every effort hits confidence level badly, and you might question the whole rationale behind continuing to invest in things that don’t show any results. But wait! If you have tried and tested every trick under the sun and listed in all major weight loss books, maybe you are not paying attention to certain keys that are needed absolutely to unlock weight loss and get to a healthier, lighter, and fitter version of yourself.
1. Start on a Healthy Diet: When your diet is not on point, no results would be visible and that’s kind of guaranteed! Even if you exercise for hours together in the gym and eat absolutely nothing through the day, no considerable fat burning would happen. The right kind of diet, such as on the Rati Beauty app, will put you in calorie deficit, by placing importance on 80% diet and 20% exercise. A combination of healthy diet along with regular physical activity will bring about sustainable weight loss and also help trim the waistline and tone the body. Check out the weekly diet programs on the Rati Beauty app and also home workouts to create calorie deficit and lose weight the right way and effectively.
2. Say no to Refined Carbs: Carbs have a bad reputation in the weight loss circles due to the common belief that they are fattening in nature and lead to increase of fat storages in the body; however, not all carbs are bad. Food items such as sugar, candies, white bread, pizza, donuts, cookies, burgers, chocolates, etc. have refined carbs that spike insulin levels and have loads of calories that quickly add up and get stored as fat in cells. Find out if you are “Eating Too Many Carbs” and if it’s the reason behind your inability to lose weight in this post.
3. Get More Fiber: Fiber is an essential part of a good weight loss diet because it helps to maintain a healthy digestive system, regulates blood sugar, and keeps you full for long. Fiber helps to reduce appetite, reduces belly fat, and thus helps with weight loss too. Here’s a list of “32 Fiber Rich Food Items for Weight Loss.”
4. Strengthen your Gut: One of the most important keys to lose weight – is a robust gut! From keeping metabolism high to maintaining hormone balance (including that of fat-burning hormones), the gut does it all! An imbalance in the gut can trigger weight gain apart from causing inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, and even depression (and these are just a few that we could think right now). Certain studies have found that, just by change in the gut flora, someone can start putting on weight. In fact, overweight people have been found to have 20 percent more of the bacterial type called “firmicutes,” and a higher percentage of another bacterial species called “bacteroidetes” compared to thin people. Firmicutes absorb calories from sugar and facilitates their conversion into fat. Eat fermented food, probiotics to strengthen the gut for successful weight loss.
5. Exercise Regularly: As we have mentioned previously too, weight loss is all about 80% dieting and 20% exercise, so that 20% can come from 40 minutes of daily physical activity five times a week. From brisk walking, yoga, stretching, low intensity, high intensity exercises, any kind of physical activity will facilitate weight loss.
6. Get More Sleep: Sleep deprivation is directly linked to weight gain and obesity because it can toss important hormones out of whack. The levels of cortisol (stress hormone), ghrelin (hunger hormone), insulin (blood sugar/fat storage hormone) go up and the level of satiety hormone “leptin” go down, affecting the way the body stores extra calories into fat and refuses to burn existing fat layers. Aim to sleep for at least 7 hours to optimize important fat-burning hormones and enzymes.
7. Drink Loads of H2O: Unless you have an underlying medical issue where water consumption should be within a certain limit, do not compromise with water intake and do not stop at just 8 glasses per day, especially when you sip on numerous cups of green tea and coffee (which can leave you dehydrated since they are natural diuretics). Drink as much as you can, we mean, water 😛
8. Remain Active Throughout the Day: Exercising for just one hour a day and sticking to the work desk and leading a sedentary lifestyle for the rest of the day, will make it harder for you to shed extra kilos. Remain active throughout the day, practicing NEAT activities, and continue to burn calories. If work keeps you tied to the desk for the major part of the day, do not forget to just fidget the legs because certain studies have found that this simple activity can burn 300 calories and more.
9. Sort out Insulin Resistance: Insulin resistance can completely overturn your weight loss efforts because insulin is a hormone that only regulates blood sugar levels, it can trigger storage of extra glucose into fat. Insulin resistance is a condition where pancreas produces insulin but the cells stop responding to the efforts of this hormone by not allowing glucose to enter from the bloodstream. As a result, there’s an excess of glucose always circulation in the blood, and to get excess blood sugar out of the way, pancreas continue to secrete more insulin, making it a vicious cycle. Insulin resistance can result from bad dietary habits and a sedentary lifestyle, and that’s why straightening out diet is of extreme importance to optimize insulin levels. Read about some effective ways to tackle insulin resistance here.
10. Stress: Stress and anxiety leads to release of cortisol (stress hormone), which can in turn increase the process of gluconeogenesis, where blood glucose is made from breaking down body’s muscles, and this blood glucose causes increase in abdominal fat. Easier said than done, if you want to lose weight – you need to find ways to lower stress and anxiety.